Monday 1 April 2013

What pets see ...



Strange thing happened when I was out for a walk the other day. I met my friend Phil who was taking his goldfish for a walk. Yes, his goldfish. He places the goldfish bowl in a pram and walks round the park to give the fish a change of scenery.

I suppose it’s not as strange as me taking the dog for a walk. My dog is so lazy that he now stands on a skateboard and I have to pull him behind me with a rope. Every so often he gets off the skateboard, sniffs the aroma around a tree or lamp post and leaves his calling card before mounting the skateboard again.

Anyway, Phil and I got talking and he asked me the oddest question ever.

“Do you ever undress in front of your pets?”

What?

I must admit, I had never considered the question before; but Phil said that he noticed recently his goldfish acting most strangely and they became very agitated whenever he undressed.
I explained that looking through the goldfish bowl everything they see must be out of proportion with each other; so looking at him must be quite a shock. It’s like looking at those concave and convex mirrors in fairgrounds when different parts of the body look out of proportion to each other.

(At this point my mind was doing summersaults, as I suspect yours is doing right now!)

He thought about it for a while and then said “I mean … pets may be a different species to us humans but they still think, you know. Fish, dogs, cats, hamsters and the like … they see you with nothing on and they may well think and wonder what is going on!”

I thought about this for a moment and I was about to say something when Phil continued:

“Now whenever we take the goldfish bowl upstairs in the bedroom we cover it with a towel before we undress so as not to traumatize the fish!”

“You take the goldfish to the bedroom with you?” I asked incredulously.

“Yes of course, they are part of the family you know. We don’t just leave them downstairs in the TV room. But you haven’t answered my question. Do you undress in front of your dog?” he asked.

I looked at my dog enjoying another tree and said nothing. Perhaps I should conduct a survey about this I thought.

So, what do you think?

13 comments:

  1. Victor, I made the mistake of showering in front of a cockroach, one day. It was such a hit that he started to bring all his friends along for the entertainment and, now, there's hundreds of them at each show:-/

    Actually, one of my biggest fears when I became a Catholic was the communion of saints. I suddenly became wary of the presence of family and friends who have passed on to the next world. I was afraid to go to the bathroom in case they came in with me:-}

    God bless, Victor:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Vicky, you have a brilliant sense of humour which surpasses mine. I can just imagine all the cockroaches fighting for the best seats at your frequent shows.

      I am a bit worried about what you say that families and friends departed can see what we do. Is this true? I never thought about that and I am now REALLY concerned. This is just NOT funny anymore. Are you sure this is true?

      Really worried.

      God bless.

      Delete
  2. Heehee! It had me worried for ages, Victor - really worried! But, then, I read a book about souls appearing in visions from Purgatory and my understanding was that they are only permitted to see or know what God wills them to know. And, considering it seems unlikely that brazen snooping is considered a virtue in Purgatory and that my most spiritual moments usually (but not always!) occur outside of the throne room, I came to the conclusion that it was safe to start showering, again. My family is relieved:-D

    God bless, Victor:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Vicky, you are a hoot. Great sense of humour.

      I hope you're right that the souls in Purgatory, or in Heaven even, don't come round to have a good look and a good laugh at us.

      God bless.

      Delete
    2. We have 2 dogs and a cat, Victor, and the cat is worse than the dogs. I had a guest visiting the other week and my cat followed her into the bathroom. I heard shrieking and didn't know what to think. Come to find out, my cat jumped onto my friend's lap while she was sitting on the toilet. Do you think I should have warned her?

      Nah, you're right, that takes all the fun out of it.

      Delete
    3. Oh the poor woman. She must have had quite a fright with the cat jumping on her.

      But you're right ... it takes all the fun out of it.

      Delete
  3. Where do you get this stuff! :)I think that you have a brilliant imagination.
    So please, tell me it is not true

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Depends what you're asking to be true, Melanie.

      If it is about departed souls, I really don't know if they sneek a peek at us in the shower. Vicky is the expert about this.

      If you're asking about pets; then YES, they do get confused and agitated when they see us in the nude. They just can't understand what has just happened. I also suspect that when cats (or dogs) meet each other they exchange notes and opinions about their owners and what they saw !!!

      God bless.

      Delete
    2. I am part of the communion of the communion of saints, so I Know that is true. As for the animals well.....

      Delete
    3. I'll have to watch out for animals then!

      Delete
  4. Oops! I commented in the wrong place.

    By the way, your guardian angel is always with
    you ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What? The Guardian Angel is EVERYWHERE?

      God bless you Mary.

      Delete

I PRAY FOR ALL WHO COMMENT HERE.

God bless you.