Tuesday 20 March 2018

Idiosyncrasies and me


I suspect we all have our idiosyncrasies, our particular quirks and foibles. The things that make us be us. Different from anyone else.

And I am no different in that respect.

My particular peculiarity is that whenever I have to go somewhere I have never been to before, I like to go there the day before to check how to get there, plan my route, and see where the place is.

The difficulty with this is that I have to attend many business meetings in far away towns and cities. Some requiring a long drive of up to twelve hours. So I set off early the day before my meeting, drive all the way there, and drive back home only to discover that now is the time to set off once again for my meeting the next day.


It's the same if my travels are by train. I go to the railway station the day before. Check the time the train is to leave the following day and from which platform it will leave. This is to ensure that the day in question I do not get on the wrong train and end up travelling South rather than my destination up North.

Once I asked the train driver whether he had been to that place before. His answer was somewhat unkind.

Some friends suggested that I join a self-help group in town who maybe can help me with this particular problem. I got on the internet and applied to join.

The day before the meeting of the self-help group, somewhere in town not so far away, I decided to go and find out where this place is. When I got there I found that a number of other people joining this group had also got there the day before to check where the place is.

I got talking to some of them and went for a coffee at a nearby shop.

When I got home that day, rather late past midnight, I had got an e-mail saying that the venue for the meeting the next day had been changed. So I got out again late at night and went to town to check where this new venue was. When I got there, some other members of the group were also there checking where the new venue was.

Eventually I got to the first meeting of the group. We all went to check where the gents and ladies toilets were before the meeting started.

One way of getting us to overcome our acquired habit is to blindfold the whole group, take us by bus to a secret place in town about a mile or two away, take off the blindfolds and get us to walk back to the meeting place.

It took me a week to make my way back to the meeting place. Because I first had to find my way there, then when I got there, I made my way back to the place the bus had dropped us, then I made my way to the meeting place properly.

So I gave up attending these self-help group meetings. Especially since the meetings were not always in the same room in that big building; thus necessitating extra walking backwards and forwards finding the new rooms.

I have still not got over the habit of going places the day before to check where a new place is.

In fact, my habit has got worse. I have had to write this post at least twice so far to make sure it is OK before I have to write it properly. I am not sure whether this is the last and proper version of this post or whether I have to re-visit it again. I am not even certain whether I have posted it here or not; and indeed whether once it is posted, you will have to read it more than once to ensure you read it properly when you have finally read it.

Can you help? And once you have helped, can you help again?

18 comments:

  1. This is so very funny because I have actually done the very same thing before we got the GPS. It does reduce the anxiety. Thank you again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have GPS Cathy, on my cell phone and in the car. But I don't trust them; so I check in person the place I have to go to. For example, what if they moved London whilst no one was looking and the GPS did not know about it? I'd be going to the wrong place the next day! So I check beforehand that the place I am going to has not been moved.

      God bless you, Cathy.

      Delete
  2. I just leave early to find the place I need to be. I always figure I will find it one way or another and I do. I've also arrived late too. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What worries me, Bill, is if they have moved the place I want to get to. I once went to a restaurant for a meeting and found that it was closed down and they had a shoe shop in that place instead.

      God bless you.

      Delete
  3. Lol, Victor, if anyone needs a GPS, it's you, my friend!
    But with regards to the blog? I have to write ahead and revisit several times before posting. Never let a post go without a complete review of the territory I think I've traversed. Happy journeys!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I get a sudden idea for a Blog post, Martha; and it can happen anywhere, on the bus, whilst driving or whatever, I quickly write something on my hand, arm, leg (?), so that I can write the post afterwards. Unfortunately, it all disappears when I shower. Perhaps I should use a permanent pen ???

      God bless.

      Delete
  4. We do this all the time and call it, 'making a dry run.'
    Don't do it when it is far away though, more of a local thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Happyone. I do it all the time regardless of distance. I had to go from Edinburgh to Paris; so I did the dry run the day before! Cost me a fortune in travel.

      God bless.

      Delete
  5. Well, it's a good thing you're not an astronaut or your idiosyncrasy could cause some problems. ;)

    By the way, I had a little idiosyncrasy of an accident which I posted on my blog. You can call me Dr. Scar now. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh dear, Manny. I hope you were not seriously hurt. Take care my friend.

      God bless.

      Delete
    2. Thank you for your concern. It wasn’t too bad.

      Delete
  6. Hahah! My MIL does this.

    I don't. I just driving around screaming on the day I am supposed to be there. Who put this road over here anyway?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's exactly what I fear, Sandi. What if on the day I am supposed to be there they build a new road, or a new building, or re-paint the whole building so I do not recognise it. Best to check. I once went for a job interview. To be there on time I slept in the street the night before.

      God bless.

      Delete
  7. Perhaps, we have a few control issues??
    Blessings, My Funny Friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not a question of control, Lulu. It's more lack of control. What if I were to go to London, or Manchester, or Glasgow, and the day in question I find that they have moved it somewhere else?

      God bless you.

      Delete
  8. Thanks (always) for the giggles!

    ReplyDelete

I PRAY FOR ALL WHO COMMENT HERE.

God bless you.